Friday, 28 October 2016 15:03

Man Convicted of Attempted Manslaughter in Knife Attack, Abduction

MEMPHIS – October 28, 2016 - A 48-year-old man has been convicted of attempted voluntary manslaughter and other charges stemming from a knife attack and abduction of a former girlfriend last year near Bartlett, Shelby County Dist. Atty. Gen. Amy Weirich said Friday.
Reggie Horton, who remains in custody, also was convicted of aggravated kidnapping and assault. He will be sentenced in December by Criminal Court Judge W. Mark Ward.
According to testimony, Horton attacked his former girlfriend and her new girlfriend on April 27 last year as they were leaving a bridal shop Wolf Creek Parkway near I-40 and Germantown Parkway.
Horton, who was armed with a knife, said he was going to kill both of them and then stabbed the new girlfriend several times. The defendant then dragged his former girlfriend across the parking lot and forced her into his pickup truck. Witnesses said Horton also grabbed the woman’s 18-month-old daughter and flung her into the truck and then drove off.
Horton is the child’s father.
Officers searching the area found Horton’s truck at a Motel 6 on Sycamore View Road where Horton had barricaded himself and his two hostages in a room. After a two-hour standoff, Horton was taken into custody.
The case was handled by Asst. Dist. Attys. Danielle McCollum and Jamie Kidd of the DA’s Domestic Violence Prosecution Unit which handles felony cases of domestic assault and homicide committed by intimate partners. The unit also works closely with the Shelby County Family Safety Center to provide services and assistance to victims and their families.