Thursday, 10 November 2016 11:46

Man Convicted of Attempted Murder in Shooting Incident

MEMPHIS – November 10, 2016 - A 21-year-old man has been convicted of attempted second-degree murder and other charges stemming from a shooting last year near Mississippi and Danny Thomas, Shelby County Dist. Atty. Gen. Amy Weirich said Thursday.
A Criminal Court jury also convicted defendant Antonio Johnson of aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and employment of a firearm in the commission of a dangerous felony. He will be sentenced next month by Judge W. Mark Ward.
The shooting occurred on June 14 last year as the 27-year-old victim was walking with his girlfriend and was confronted by a gunman he had clashed with in a prior incident. After a short struggle, the victim fell to the ground and was shot in the chest by Johnson, investigators said.
Investigators said Johnson encountered the victim earlier that evening and returned to the location a short time later. When the victim exited a nearby store, Johnson approached him and shot the victim, who now is partially paralyzed.
The case was handled by Asst. Dist. Atty. Sarah Poe.